The ICC Cricket World Cup 2007 was the ninth edition of the ICC Cricket World Cup tournament. This event was hosted by West Indies and was started from 13 March to 28 April 2007. A total of 51 matches were played in this world cup. There were 16 teams in this tournament. Cricket World cup 2007 final was played between the finalists of 1996 World cup, Australia and Sri Lanka. Australia won the World cup 2007 by defeating Sri Lanka in the final to win their third consecutive World Cup.
Records/Statistics of the ICC World Cup 2007
Herschelle Gibbs became the first batsman to hit six sixes in an over in one-day internationals of Daan van Bunge’s bowling in the match between South Africa and the Netherlands.
• Matthew Hayden and Adam Gilchrist became the first opening pair to place 1000 runs together in World Cup matches.
• Mathew Hayden created the record for most number of boundaries in a single World Cup. He struck 87 boundaries (69 fours and 18 sixes), beating Tendulkar’s record of 79 (75 fours and four sixes).
• Lasith Malinga takes four wickets in four balls and become the first bowler to in the history of one-day internationals. Chaminda Vaas and Bret Lee are the others who have taken a World Cup hat-trick.
• India’s 413 for 5 against Bermuda is the highest total ever placed by a team in World Cups which breaks Sri Lanka’s earlier record of 398 for 5 against Kenya at Kandy in 1996.
• India’s 257-run win against Bermuda is the biggest victory margin in World Cup. In eight previous World Cups, only 16 wins had been achieved by a 200-plus margin.
• Man of the series: Glenn McGrath of Australia is the Man of the series.
• Best bowler in World cup 2007: Glenn McGrath of Australia with 26 wickets.
• Best batsmen in World Cup in 2007: Matthew Hayden of Australia is the best batsman in ICC World Cup 2007.