Dilhara Fernando is also known as Congenige Randhi Dilhara Fernando. He was born on 19 July 1979 at Colombo, Sri Lanka. He is a right-handed pace bowler who started off his school career as a basketball player but was spotted by the college cricket coach because of his build and height and has never looked back since. Fernando is best known for his rare technique when bowling the slower ball by splitting the fingers on the ball as it is released from the hand. Fernando made his ODI debut against South Africa at Paarl in January 2001. In the 2010 tour of Australia, in the 3rd and final ODI at The Gabba, he clocked speeds reaching 150 kilometres per hour (93 mph). He took 6 wickets against England in October 2007, which is considered to be his best till date, as ODI bowler.
Top Ten ODI Wickets Of Dilhara Fernando
- Dilhara Fernando accumulated 6 wickets for 27 runs against England at Colombo (RPS) on October 13, 2007 and bowled 8 overs at an economy rate of 3.37. He achieved his best bowling figures in the 2nd innings of the match.
- Fernando bagged 4 wickets for 24 runs in the 2nd innings of the match against Bangladesh at Colombo (PSS) on July 20, 2007 and bowled 9 overs with 1 maiden at an economy rate of 2.66.
- Dilhara bowled 10 overs at an economy rate of 3.6 and pocketed 4 wickets for 36 runs against Africa XI at Chennai on June 9, 2007. It was in the 2nd innings of the match.
- In the 1st innings of the match, he grabbed 4 wickets for 48 runs at an economy rate of 4.8 against England at Perth on December 20, 2002 and bowled 10 overs.
- Dilhara Fernando bowled 8 overs, out of which 1 was maiden and took 3 wickets for 19 runs at an economy rate of 2.37 in the 1st innings of the match against Bangladesh at Colombo (RPS) on September 4, 2005.
- Fernando fetched 3 wickets for 20 runs in the 2nd innings of the match against Pakistan at Abu Dhabi on May 22, 2007 and bowled 7 overs with 1 maiden at an economy rate of 2.85.
- It was the 1st innings of the match in which he pocketed 3 wickets for 30 runs and bowled 9.4 overs at an economy rate of 3.1 against Pakistan at Colombo (RPS) on September 12, 2002.
- Dilhara bowled 9 overs at an economy rate of 4 in the 1st innings of the match and accumulated 3 wickets for 36 runs against Zimbabwe at Harare on June 9, 2010.
- He bagged 3 wickets for 39 runs in the 2nd innings of the match at an economy rate of 4.33 against Netherlands at Amstelveen on July 4, 2006 and bowled 9 overs.
- Fernando bowled 9 overs at an economy rate of 4.55 and achieved bowling figures of 3 wickets for 41 runs in the 2nd innings of the match against England at North Sound on April 4, 2007.
As per ESPN Cricinfo – Dated September 20, 2011