Dilhara Fernando’s actual name is Congenige Randhi Dilhara Fernando. He was born on 19 July 1979 at Colombo, Sri Lanka. He is a right-handed pace bowler who started off his school career as a basketball player but was spotted by the college cricket coach because of his build and height and has never looked back since. Fernando is best known for his rare technique when bowling the slower ball by splitting the fingers on the ball as it is released from the hand. Fernando first debuted for Sri Lanka in a Test Match against Pakistan at Colombo in June 2000. In the 2010 tour of Australia, in the 3rd and final ODI at The Gabba, he clocked speeds reaching 150 kilometres per hour (93 mph). His took 5 wickets against India in August 2001, which is considered to be his best, till date in Test Cricket.
Top Ten Wickets Of Dilhara Fernando
- Dilhara Fernando accumulated 5 wickets for 42 runs against India at Galle on August 14, 2001 and bowled 25 overs with 9 maidens at an economy rate of 1.68. He achieved his best bowling figures in the 1st innings of the match.
- Fernando bagged 5 wickets for 60 runs in the 2nd innings of the match against Bangladesh at Colombo (PSS) on September 20, 2005 and bowled 11 overs with 2 maidens at an economy rate of 5.45.
- He bowled 34 overs with 4 maidens at an economy rate of 2.88 and pocketed 5 wickets for 98 runs against South Africa at Durban on December 26, 2000. It was in the 1st innings of the match.
- In the 1st innings of the match, he grabbed 4 wickets for 48 runs at an economy rate of 3.69 against South Africa at Colombo (SSC) on July 27, 2006 and bowled 13 overs including 2 maidens.
- Dilhara bowled 12 overs and took 4 wickets for 49 runs at an economy rate of 4.08 in the 4th innings of the match against South Africa at Centurion on November 15, 2002.
- Fernando fetched 4 wickets for 77 runs in the 4th innings of the match against Pakistan at Faisalabad on October 20, 2004 and bowled 20 overs with 4 maidens at an economy rate of 3.85.
- It was the 3rd innings of the match in which he pocketed 3 wickets for 27 runs and bowled 12 overs with 4 maidens at an economy rate of 2.25 against England at Colombo (SSC) on December 18, 2003.
- Dilhara bowled 11 overs with 2 maidens at an economy rate of 3 in the 1st innings of the match and accumulated 3 wickets for 33 runs against Bangladesh at Colombo (SSC) on June 25, 2007.
- He bagged 3 wickets for 51 runs in the 3rd innings of the match at an economy rate of 2.68 against Bangladesh at Bogra on March 8, 2006 and bowled 19 overs with 4 maidens.
- Fernando bowled 17 overs, out of which 2 were maidens at an economy rate of 3.52 and achieved bowling figures of 3 wickets for 60 runs in the 3rd innings of the match against Bangladesh at Colombo (PSS) on July 3, 2007.
As Per Info provided by ESPN Cricinfo – Dated September 20, 2011