Ajantha Mendis also known as Balapuwaduge Ajantha Winslo Mendis, was born on March 11, 1985 in Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. He plays for the Sri Lankan national cricket team as a slow-medium pace bowler. Mendis, although classified as slow-medium, bowls a mixture of deliveries, including googlies, off-breaks, top-spinners, flippers and leg-breaks, as well as the carom ball, released with a flick of his middle finger. For Sri Lanka Army in 2007-08 he averaged a mere 10.56 and took 46 wickets in six games, his strike rate a startling 31. This gained him a call-up to the full Sri Lanka squad for the Caribbean tour in April 2008. Mendis made his One Day International debut against the West Indies at Port of Spain in 2008 and took 3 for 39. His best bowling performance in a One Day International came in the final of the 2008 Asia Cup, where he took 6 wickets for 13 runs in just his eighth match. His 17 wickets in the tournament earned him the Man of the Series award. Ajantha Mendis won the Emerging Player of the Year award at the LG ICC Awards ceremony held in Dubai in September 2008.
Top Ten ODI Wickets Of Ajantha Mendis
- Ajantha Mendis accumulated 6 wickets for 13 runs against India at Karachi on July 6, 2008 and bowled 8 overs with 1 maiden at an economy rate of 1.62. He achieved his best bowling figures in the 2nd innings of the match.
- Mendis bagged 6 wickets for 29 runs in the 1st innings of the match against Zimbabwe at Harare on November 28, 2008 and bowled 9 overs at an economy rate of 3.22.
- Ajantha bowled 6.3 overs with 1 maiden at an economy rate of 3.38 and pocketed 5 wickets for 22 runs against UAE(United Arab Emirates) at Lahore on June 26, 2008. It was in the 2nd innings of the match.
- In the 2nd innings of the match, he grabbed 4 wickets for 10 runs at an economy rate of 2.22 against India at Colombo (RPS) on August 29, 2008 and bowled 4.3 overs including 2 maidens.
- He bowled 6 overs, out of which 1 was maiden and took 4 wickets for 15 runs at an economy rate of 2.5 in the 1st innings of the match against Zimbabwe at Harare on November 22, 2008.
- Ajantha Mendis fetched 4 wickets for 46 runs in the 2nd innings of the match against West Indies at Colombo (SSC) on February 6, 2011 and bowled 10 overs with 1 maiden at an economy rate of 4.6.
- It was the 2nd innings of the match in which he pocketed 4 wickets for 47 runs and bowled 10 overs at an economy rate of 4.7 against Pakistan at Karachi on June 29, 2008.
- Mendis bowled 5.2 overs at an economy rate of 2.81 in the 2nd innings of the match and accumulated 3 wickets for 15 runs against Zimbabwe at Dhaka on January 12, 2009.
- He bagged 3 wickets for 21 runs in the 1st innings of the match at an economy rate of 2.33 against India at Dambulla on August 18, 2008 and bowled 9 overs with 4 maidens.
- Ajantha bowled 9.4 overs at an economy rate of 2.48 and achieved bowling figures of 3 wickets for 24 runs in the 1st innings of the match against Bangladesh at Dhaka on January 16, 2009.
As Per ESPN Cricinfo – Dated September 20, 2011